Many people wish for eternal life. There is a creature living in the Mediterranean Sea that provides an interesting example of this. Did you know that...
- … the jellyfish "Turritopsis nutricula" is a fountain of youth?
- ... even though it only measures 5 millimetres in size?
- ... in its old age, this jellyfish can completely regenerate its cells rather than dying?
- ... during this process, the cells lose the function that they performed up to that time and return to their initial state?
- ... "Turritopsis nutricula" can repeat this process as many times as it likes?
- ... this jellyfish can therefore live forever, just as long as it is not eaten or dried out on land?
- ... Scientists are undoubtedly working under a lot of pressure to crack its genetic code?
- ... they are doing this in order to see how the cells are able to simply reverse the ageing process?